The next version of VMware’s Database-as-a-Service platform, vFabric Data Director 2.0, was released a few days ago. This release is tremendous as the Oracle database platform is now officially supported!
Core features of vFabric Data Director 2.0 includes:
- Scalable and elastic resources
- Multi-tenant so different organizational units can be given their own set of independent resources
- Self-service database provisioning, cloning, backups, point-in-time restores, and management
- Data can now beÂ ingestedÂ from external sources.
- Improved agility in the software development lifecycle
- Single management system and single point of entry for simplicity of development and administration
- Support for Oracle 10gR2 and 11gR2 in addition to vPostgres 9.1
I have been using this product for quite some time, and I canÂ definitivelyÂ say that this is one of my favorite products on the market today. It is the first TRUE database-as-a-service product that you can deploy in your private cloud and keep within your corporate fences. The flexibility and agility you can give your organization is unparalleled. Keeping the data in your private cloud instead of some unregulated, unpredictable public cloud offering means you have full control over your data without worrying about security or compliance. TheÂ applicationÂ development lifecycle can be dramatically shortened throughÂ lettingÂ the developers self-administer their databases.
Also, Chad Sakac reports that SQL Server support is coming in a future release. I can hardly wait!