Even though I’m not there, I’m still doing everything I can to keep up with the announcements. For me, the announcements that stand out are:
- NO MORE VRAM licensing!!!
- vCPU scalability up to 64 vCPU (via vHardware version 9)
- The 1TB of memory limitation per VM still applies
- Updates to the vSphere Distributed Switch that could be handy, such as a network health check and link aggregation control protocol (LACP) additions
- vMotion that does both storage and host migrations at the same time.
- No reboot VMware Tools upgrades. This is a nice touch, and one that has always hindered admin ability to keep these up to date in a zero-downtime environment.
Things I have not heard anything new about (but am always hoping for improvements):
- VMware SMP Fault Tolerance
- Adjustments to the 2TB VMDK size limit
- Cluster to cluster VM migrations
I can’t wait until it’s released to the public so I can get a copy and upgrade my home lab so I can start playing with the new toys!