Coming soon isÂ theÂ SQL Saturday #332 inÂ Minneapolis, MNÂ on October 25th,Â with myÂ preconference training sessionÂ on Friday, OctoberÂ 24. I am really looking forward to attending theseÂ events!
Virtualization for SQL Server DBAs Precon
There are just a few seats left for the precon! Register today!
Microsoft MVP, VMware vExpert, and SQL Server performance expert David Klee leads this full-day introduction to enabling and managing a virtualized SQL Server environment. The focus of the course is to help those new to virtualization and/or infrastructure concepts to become familiar with the concept and purposes of virtualization and how it can benefit them as data professionals. Participants will gain exposure to all layers of virtualization underneath SQL Server, from storage to hypervisor to the SQL Server instance, and will learn how to construct the entire stack with the focus on SQL Server performance.Â
Upon completion of this course, attendees will be able to:
- Understand key virtualization and cloud concepts
- Determine the optimal infrastructure configuration for best performance
- Construct a SQL Server virtual machine template with best practices for agility and performance
- Understand how and what stack metrics to benchmark and baseline to ensure proper objective performance measurement
- Identify and remediate common virtualized SQL Server performance killers
- Understand proper virtualized capacity management techniques for long term managementÂ
Attendees with the following experiences will benefit the most from this course:
- Basic familiarity with the core components of a server
- SQL Server installation and configuration
- Exposure to SQL Server performance metric measurement and identificationÂ
A working set of the screens and configuration settings referenced in the session, together with the reference slides and documentation, will be provided to attendees, for prospective reference in working with virtualized SQL Server in their own environments.
At this SQL Saturday event, I’m going to be presenting a highly interactive session called “How to Argue with your Infrastructure Admins – And Win!” at 10am in Rapson 31. I can’t wait to see you all there!
Abstract:Â Do you feel like you spend hours going round-and-round with your system, storage, and virtualization administrators over SQL Server best practices? Are their application-agnostic requirements hurting your SQL Serverâ€™s performance, or worse, their reliability? David Klee (@kleegeek) will discuss valuable insight into how to start and work through the common conversations with them on the SQL Server infrastructure practices that matter to you the most, and how to succeed in getting what you need while keeping everyone happy.
Session Level:Â Beginner