I am pleased to announce that I have an upcoming preconference training session on Friday, February 27th, the Friday before SQL Saturday Phoenix.
Virtualization for SQL Server DBAs
Session Information:Â Microsoft MVP, VMware vExpert, and SQL Server performance expert David Klee leads this full-day introduction to enabling and managing a virtualized SQL Server environment. The focus of the course is to help those new to virtualization and/or infrastructure concepts to become familiar with the concept and purposes of virtualization and how it can benefit them as data professionals. Participants will gain exposure to all layers of virtualization underneath SQL Server, from storage to hypervisor to the SQL Server instance, and will learn how to construct the entire stack with the focus on SQL Server performance.
Upon completion of this course, attendees will be able to:
- Understand key virtualization and cloud concepts
- Determine the optimal infrastructure configuration for best performance
- Construct a SQL Server virtual machine template with best practices for agility and performance
- Understand how and what stack metrics to benchmark and baseline to ensure proper objective performance measurement
- Identify and remediate common virtualized SQL Server performance killers
- Understand proper virtualized capacity management techniques for long term management
Attendees with the following experiences will benefit the most from this course:
- Basic familiarity with the core components of a server
- SQL Server installation and configuration
- Exposure to SQL Server performance metric measurement and identification
A working set of the screens and configuration settings referenced in the session, together with the reference slides and documentation, will be provided to attendees, for prospective reference in working with virtualized SQL Server in their own environments.
If this topic is not too intriguing to you, check out the other precons! This is world-class training at a low price!
SQL Saturday Phoenix
Phoenix’s next SQL Saturday is Saturday, February 28th, at the Black Canyon Conference Center, 9440 North 25th Avenue, Phoenix AZ. This event is huge! They have 11 full tracks covering topics from application development to business intelligence to DBA and development topics. I’m fortunate enough to have a session at 10:45am in the Boulder Room entitled “Achieving Peak Performance from your Virtual SQL Servers“, and will cover a high level overview of some of the topics that I go in-depth on during the precon. If you can’t make the precon, come see me during this morning session and I’ll gladly spend as much time as possible answering any questions that you might have about SQL Server virtualization!
Register today for this event, as seats are limited and I know it is going to fill up soon! I can’t wait to see you all there!